Kevin of Steel III Frameset, Hero Green
Curve Cycling's Kevin is so much more than a steel gravel bike.
This light but durable steel frame paired with the carbon GXR fork has been tested heavily on adventures worldwide.
In 2018, Jimmy Ashby rode the original Kevin of Steel 39,100 km throughout 32 countries; in 2019 Barrie Mead took third place in Race to the Rock on a Kevin of Steel, fitted with 650b wheels and 2.2” tyres.
Many of the Curve team have traversed New Zealand, Switzerland, Swaziland, Cuba, Croatia, and more on this magnificent bicycle.
- Italian Steel - The main frame triangle is comprised of Columbus Zona Italian-made double-butted tubing. Zona allows for the ideal compromise between weight, strength and life of the frame.
Two bikes in One - The GXR carbon fork has clearance for wheel options based on your riding style. For example, Kevin can run either 700c wheels with 32–45 mm tyres, best suited for commuting, gravel, and cyclocross, or if you’re looking to tackle some rougher terrain with more traction, use 650b (27.5”) wheels fitted with 1.8–2.2” tyres. Curve has the above wheel options in both carbon and aluminium available.
No weird flex - The custom 4130 steel yoke design allows Kevin to run some super-wide gravel tyres in two wheel sizes, and also stiffens the BB area to avoid frame flex under load.
Ready for adventure - Kevin comes equipped with rear rack mounts, fender mounts, and 3 x bidon mounts; and can run either a 1x (44t max) or 2x (50/34t max) drivetrain. Kevin is ready for single or multi-day bikepacking adventures due to extra tyre clearance, a longer wheelbase, and a more stable platform.
- Front rack ready - If running a front rack on Kevin, please keep in mind that the fork is designed to carry a max weight of 6 kg (3 kg/ blade) - a bit of jiggery is required when installing a rack - you will need a bracket that allows the rack to attach to both the front and rear mount on the fork crown to ensure the rack is securely in place.
Specifications for GXR Frameset
- Frame: Curve GXR - Columbus Zona & 4130 chromoly
- Fork: Curve Carbon GXR 12mm Flat mount
- Headset: Curve HS1 1 1/8-1.5 Black Alloy, Sealed Cartridge Bearing
- Seatclamp: Curve 30.0 Black Alloy
- Axles: Bolt Up 12 x 100 Front, 12 x 142 Rear